I can’t or won’t, and I can and will.
I can’t or won’t:
- accept that the whole joint is going down the shitter;
- see the world through one lens, be it race, class, gender, political affiliation, religion, ethnicity, or football code;
- lose my humour;
- plead guilty to the crimes of others;
- forget about history and beauty;
- constantly filter out any frailties or doubts;
- keep poking my own wounds with through bad choices and inauthentic relationships;
- pretend that any music after 1986 is worth listening to, or;
- always cross the street on the green light.
I can and will:
- admit that I know very little;
- continue to laugh at myself and my world;
- put pen to paper to make some sense of stuff and provide solace to self;
- only give advice when asked for it;
- desperately resist the digital vortex;
- go bush;
- see the world in kaleidoscopic terms for all its diversity and complexity;
- try to listen and lead;
- let go and let God;
- continue to suffer with the New York Mets;
- sit on a grass hill in the sun at Henson Park, drinking beer with family and friends, and hoping the Newtown Jets win while not caring about the score;
- think aloud and cop criticism for it;
- be inspired by brave limitless peers;
- work for folks and causes who may not be as well off and that I’m placed to help;
- defend the Constitution, and love my adopted country and respect it’s first people;
- reinvent myself a lot for both the right and wrong reasons;
- seek the grace in others with curiousity and compassion – and stuff it up a million times along the way;
- hold my kin close, and;
- always move forward.
Sworn on this day in a Kyiv cafe by Fool-in-Chief.